The new EYFS Planning

The new EYFS Planning

Postby The Nursery Nurse » 09 Aug 2008, 07:09

Hows everyone going about it???

We haven't started ours yet!!!! Times ticking by, any tips on how to go about it would be great:)
The Nursery Nurse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The new EYFS Planning

Postby redsky » 09 Aug 2008, 21:57

Lol, we're wading through it!! Our local authority has just given us a booklet of all the ideas that a "advisory committee" has done, made up of teachers etc. So we're looking through that, gives another take as well as the stuff on the EYFS cdrom. Kind of putting a bit of both together to make something that works for our setting.
Got tons to do but hoping that after a couple of months should make life easier, certainly like a lot of the planning I've pulled out. We're putting a lot of focus on the child-initiated side of the planning.
Will be even better when I know what staff I will have in my room so I can tell them what we have to do, haha what a laugh, 3 weeks until it's completely in place and the 3-5 room has no permanent set of staff, what a surprise!!
redsky
Teething
Teething

Postby redsky » 11 Aug 2008, 20:25

Hiya, sorry, sent that late at night and realised not really much help to you!
As I am a perfectionist, I must confess that I read through the entire EYFS pack, even the bits that really I didn't need to know, because I hate working with things I don't know inside out! Then, I read through the pack provided by our local authority, and then kind of amalgamated all of this into what fits my room the best etc.
As a nursery, we are making a board in the entrance with the principles on and all the things our nursery does to promote those principles, and photos of the children that are relevant to this. Our manager and teacher are organising this.
Then, in front of my room (pre-school), I am doing a similiar new display about the Development Matters strand, as we have found a lot of our parents are still unaware that our pre-school room provides the same education provision as a school nursery.
Then, I went through my room and listed all of the provision areas I have, and wrote them all down, and am working on a "Continuous Provision Plan" for each one. I know most places probably have these already but me and my manager have pretty much built this room up from a bit of a nightmare last year, due to staffing problems and lots of kids with additional needs all at once etc! That is part of the Enabling Environments bit in the new EYFS.
Then, I basically looked through my local authority file, which is like a collaboration of lots of different teachers and advisory people within our area, and has a few different kinds of planning and ideas to use and develop as your own, and adapted them to what I want, along with the planning ideas from the EYFS CDRom.
And I have decided to do a very child-led planning system, as is recommended and to be honest what I find easiest within 3-5 years.
So, got a general long-term plan, with the year (Sept-Aug) split up into 2 month blocks, and included on it: Seasons, Festivals, Events (i.e. children leaving for school, parents evenings etc.), Outings, Possible Topics, Resource Implications, and Links to Outside. Going to put a lot of general ideas on there so not tied down to anything too much.
Then also got a Long-Term Monitoring coverage sheet, just with the basic areas within each Development Matters strand on a table, to highlight when covered so can keep an eye on covering things, but no major "oh must do this then" type thing.

Then, planning to use observations on children for topic ideas, and sit down with children just before start new topic to disucss ideas, and use this for a medium term plan. They're saying really only over 3's need to do medium term planning now, and even then I don't think that's compulsary, but I think it will be good to do it in a child-based kind of way in my room, they like to feel they have some control over their lives bless them!

Then, got short-term planning! Need to have a short-term provision plan, i.e. what is going to be added to basic provision areas that week, and also a short-term activity plan, with focused activities on (we just tend to have one focus activity indoor, one outdoor, per day, often within an area). I am doing separate ones for indoor and outdoor, although obviously they will interlink. Going to have an extensions and interests sheets stuck up each week so staff can write daily developments on, and can use this to inform next day/weeks planning in line with children's interests and needs.

Sounds a lot, but once we get going with it it will be easier I think, the continuous provision sheets only need doing yearly, and all of the other things are pretty much what we do already, using children's interests etc, just written down on paper!

Observation wise, we're planning for key workers to do one focused observation per key child per fortnight, plus all staff to do 4 short observations per day on any child. Going to use an observation monitoring sheet filled in daily for the short obs to make sure good spread of children being observed over the week. When the keyworker has their time out, they can stick all of the obs in the file in date order, writing "significant steps" under the obs. They will have their own monitoring sheet to see if all areas are being observed. They can also fill in a children's interests form, with anything they've noticed from obs to pass to me to inform planning for the next week. Doesn't need to be an interest for every child, just any they have noticed in particular.
About twice a year we will have parents evening (prob about Oct/Nov and April/May), and we'll fill in a "snapshot" of child's learning journey before that, add paren'ts discussion onto that snapshot, and use both to fill in our "base/mid/exit" sheet
(document from local authority that I need to adapt slightly as some of our children are in the room for 1 year, some for 2, some for 18 months!!!)
Then at end of the child's time in our room, we will fill in "My Learning Journey" (an A3 sheet we've got from local authority), which has just the stages on (birth - 11 months, 8-20 months....), and the different Development Matters strands on. Going to do this simply by using orange and green highlighters (orange for working towards and green for achieved), and highlighting in the relevant boxes, with the date. We don't want to use any kind of checklist like the ones we had for foundation stage, but feedback from our parents has suggested that they do like to see some kind of idea where their children are at on the framework, so we have compromised at this.
Argh I'm sorry I have just read this and it's really long!!! Anyway, some of it might not apply to your setting, or you might want to do it a different way cos it is pretty flexible, but sometimes it's good to see how other people are doing things isn't it! We are also hoping to set up a bit of a support network with a local nursery school, looking at their provision and planning etc, as my son used to go there and we're not really in direct competition with them.
redsky
Teething
Teething

Postby The Nursery Nurse » 11 Aug 2008, 20:34

Thanks Hunny :)

:little angel:
The Nursery Nurse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chelle » 22 Aug 2008, 17:24

Hi All,
Well we've ripped a pack apart, and made a display bored.
I've cut the PiPs out of the large poster, stuck them on a bored, and taken photos of the Principal taking place in the setting, it's a good introduction to staff and adults a like.
We have been piloting for a year, was kind of like OMG :shock: There is no way! But we're on a role now!
We observe the kids, write a plan, plan is done,gained observation from it, plan again.... it's just a HUGE continual Learning Circle (Or Journey as my company are calling it)! In the preschool room we're doing 2 plans a day, in the 0-2's they do how ever many plans over the week... theory is that they learn from repeating things and performing schemas. It's Fabulas!
Chelle
Newborn
Newborn

Return to Planning